A preliminary response to a prompt on Tumblr. You can read it here.
Well, work at my new site is far from finished, but I’ve decided to declare it open! My Tikatu’s Corner site, so long my personal archive, now has a redirect set up to take visitors to the new, WordPress.org build, As My Muse Moves. I think you’ll like it!
The new chapter for Burning Muses is up at the new site. It won’t appear at fanfiction.net until later this week or early next week. I want to give my new site a jump start, so if you’re interested, you can find the chapter here. Feel free to poke around and give me some feedback.
In the coming days I’ll be setting up for this year’s NaNoWriMo and adding ready chapters to the new place. Those will be interesting to post as not everything is in HTML format … yet.
Started a new chapter in Burning Muses, this time about the muse, Terpsichore. It’s been percolating for a while but tonight I managed to get it together in a file. I’m sitting on it overnight before tweaking it and sending it off for beta.
Maybe this will jump start my writing again. I hope so; it’s been a long, dry patch with no real inspiration.
Just to let you know, this is now a mirror site to some degree. I’m moving my fanfiction and some original stories to a WordPress.org build. My coding, which consisted of tables within tables within tables, isn’t working as well, so I’m replacing it with this. I’ll be doing most of my blogging about writing over there. (Family stuff will move to my family blog on WordPress.com.) It’s my goal to make that my author’s platform. New chapters or stories will be posted there first, even before fanfiction.net or AO3.
Here’s the site: As My Muse Moves. Come check it out!
Yep. I am busy building a new website. My old archive is falling to bits, mostly because I have only a passing acquaintance with HTML and none whatsoever with CSS. It pains me, in a way, to do this. I felt my original site had some rather interesting features; for example, quite a few people commented favorably on my Library page with its shelves and books. However, the guestbook script I downloaded to act as a reviews board was no longer supported (indeed, no longer exists!) and was buggier than an ant hill. It filled with spam–though the spam catcher was really good a quarantining it and deleting it. The whole site is built on tables within tables within tables. It’s just too unwieldy. So, I’m going for a WordPress build on my own domain. I need something that looks sleek and will function as my author’s site as well as my fan fiction archive.
So far, so good. There is some tweaking still to be done but I’m learning as I go. My daughter, at least, has more than a passing acquaintance with CSS. (She’ll tell you she’s no expert but she’s better than I am!) I have already exported this blog and imported it there; eventually I’ll be posting there exclusively, I think.
I also like the fact that WordPress.org had the WP Copy Protect plug in, as well as JetPack, which is used here. There is entirely too much plagiarism on the Web these days. I’ve seen people copypasting stories they don’t own from Fictionpress and selling them on Amazon.com. There’s the whole issue with the food bloggers who are having their recipes and photos snagged and used in like-farming sites all over Facebook. The issue is part of the reason I’ve been leery of posting my novel online anywhere. But with the Copy Protect, I can do that safely. (Plus, I can put it behind a password for extra security while it’s being betaread.)
I’ll put up a link when I’m ready.
Probably should have posted this yesterday, but … oh well, I’ll edit and put it up today!